(Based on SoNA.32)
- Population: 2,552,000
- Human: 68%
- Elf: 8%
- Dwarf: 8%
- Ork: 10%
- Troll: 5%
- Other: 1%
- Tribal Affiliation: 22%
- Aleut: 35%
- Inuit: 25%
- Dene: 15%
- Koyukon: 5%
- Other tribes: 20%
- Per Capita Income: 16,000¥
- Estimated SINless: 25%
- Below Poverty Level: 30%
- Corporate Affiliation: 10%
- Less Than Twelve Years: 34%
- High School Equivalency: 42%
- College Degrees: 18%
- Advanced Degrees: 6%
- Major Languages Spoken: English (61%), Inuit (25%), Russian (24%)
- Currency: nuyen (¥)
- Crashcart Coverage (Anchorage Only)
- Guaranteed Response Time: 15 minutes
- 2020 - Athabaskan Oil is established, and it is given possession over all oil fields in Athabaskan territory.
- 2022 - Sea wolves first encountered, slaughtering 53 inhabitants of Goodnews Bay.
- 2040 - Athabaskan Council becomes one of the first nations to recognize the Sasquatch as a sentient being.
- 2044 - Iris Firmware develops a series of redundant relays, satellites, and microwave links to allow easy Matrix access across Athabaska
- 2048 - June 18, Athabaskan Oil re-opens the Trans-Athabaskan pipeline, formerly the Alaskan pipeline, after more than a year of repair work.
- 2061 - Astral space becomes visible around the Harding Icefield.
Although Amerind populations are in the minority in the Athabaskan Council, the many Anglo groups receive no representation in the tribal Amerind-centric government, a consequence of the Treaty of Denver. Only tribally-affiliated citizens can run for office or vote, although some representatives go out of their way to meet the demands of the Anglo majority. The Athabaskan government is a mixed group of elected representatives and special-interest agents, divided into a Lower Council and Upper Council. The Lower Council has two delegates per electoral zone regardless of population, while the Upper Council representatives are elected by the most votes in a general ballot.
The Lower and Upper Councils send a total of ten delegates to the "Grand Council". An elected Governor runs the Grand Council in five year terms and also appoints ten more representatives to sit in the Grand Council. The current Governor (as of 2063) is Chief Delas Skyseeker of the Ahtena tribe. (SoNA.30)
Political parties are illegal, so the elections are free-for-alls between a variety of factions and delegates, some backed by corporations, others backed by policlubs and other activist groups.
The Athabaskan Council covers much of the land that used to be Alaska and Western Canada. While not as cold as the Trans-Polar Aleut nation, it sees six months of snow every year. It also sees a fair number of electrical storms along with the snowy blizzards. There are very few roads, and air travel can be risky due to the weather. Over half of the country's population is in three major cities, Anchorage, Edmonton, and Fairbanks (SoNA.29).
Several major mountain ranges criss-cross Athabaska. Mount McKinley, now known as Denali ("the Great One") is a considerable magic power site. The Harding Icefield, also called the Tears of the Mother, is a place where mana lines converge, and since the arrival of Halley's Comet, the astral plane has become visible in this area to the mundane world.
- Edmonton - stolica
The economy of the Athabaska is based on natural resources, such as uranium, platinum, iron, and timber. The big draw, however, is Oil and petroleum products. The environmental regulations are quite strict, but it is difficult to enforce due to the vast wilderness. Ecotourism is a minor, but thriving, trade, as much of Athabaska is still untamed and unspoiled wilderness.
- Ares Macrotechnology - Owns Kodiak Island, and the Alaskan Spaceport. (SoNA.38)
- Athabaskan Oil - The privately owned homegrown company that controls all of the Oil in Athabaska
- Aztechnology - Pemex, Marine Technologies, and Maritech Enterprises are Aztechnology subsidiaries in this area.
- Iris Firmware - subsidiary of Renraku, handles the Athabaskan Grid
- Northern Plastics
- Trans-Oceanic Mining - subsidiary of Saeder-Krupp
- Wuxing - controls the shipping industry
- Yakashima Technologies (nan2.74)
- Shadows of North America, s.29-39.
- Native American Nations Volume Two, s.71-79.
- Relacje z U.C.A.S.: Target: U.C.A.S., s.20-21.
- Relacje z Germany: Germany Sourcebook, s.43.
- The Pipeline smuggling route ends in Alaska (tsh.88).
- Mały wpływ Mafia (und.37).
- Ares jest właścicielem Alaskan Spaceport on Kodiak Island (yotc.14).
There is a major population discrepancy between Native American Nations, Volume Two and Shadows of North America (14,398,000 vs. 2,552,000). The map on SoNA.33 shows Anchorage as the capital, when the text says it is Edmonton.
This page forked from Wordman's The Sixth World: A geographical index to the world of Shadowrun
|Native American Nations|