Ethnic Makeup (based on modern-day CIA world factbook)
- Black 75.2% (Zulu (by far the largest group), the indigenous Xhosa and San tribes)
- White 13.6%
- Colored 8.6%
- Indian 2.6%
- Christian 68% (includes most whites and Coloreds, about 60% of blacks and about 40% of Indians)
- Muslim 2%
- Hindu 1.5% (60% of Indians)
- indigenous beliefs and animist 28.5%
- 2039: A treaty seals the foundation of Azania, after a long civil war. (Nosferatu)
- 2040: The country of Azania is formed and formally recognized (sr3.29)
The region formerly known as South Africa continues to have ethnic strife between black and white, despite the reforms brought about by the end of apartheid during the end of the 20th century. If anything, the racism against metahumans is aggravated by the latent racist tension between the African tribes and the Anglo-Saxon people. (Nosferatu) The Boers and Humanis Policlub share many views, and the Zulu Elves similarly reject anyone who isn't native and Elven.
There are 11 official languages, including Afrikaans, English, Ndebele, Northern Sotho, Sotho, Swazi, Tsonga, Tswana, Venda, Xhosa, and Zulu. Other spoken languages include several San (Bushman) dialects, Portuguese, German, Telugu, and Gujarati.
Climate: mostly semiarid; subtropical along east coast; sunny days, cool nights
Terrain: vast interior plateau rimmed by rugged hills and narrow coastal plain
- Cape Town - the major port of the Cape Republic area
- New Hlobane - formerly Pietermaritzburg, the Zulu Nation’s capital since 2039
Cyberpirates, s 123-124.
The great feathered serpent Mujaji lairs somewhere in the Cape Republic (sr3.269).
Saeder-Krupp's secondary space launch site is in Overberg (yotc.15).
During Halley's Comet visit, naturally occurring orichalcum discovered (yotc.85).
Sprawl Survival Guide, p. 72-73: Called Azanian Confederation
- Nosferatu is set in the year 2055 and much of the novel takes place in Africa.
- According to the novel, Lofwyr’s secondary space port site is less than 100 kilometers from Mujaji’s main lair. Maybe Gold Snout and the Rain Queen have some sort of deal worked out.
This page forked from Wordman's The Sixth World: A geographical index to the world of Shadowrun