In 1949, Chiang Kai-Shek and his Nationalist Party were ousted from the Chinese mainland by the Communists. The Nationalists fled to the island Taiwan, promising they would return to reclaim the mainland. Sometime before 2018, the government of Taiwan renounced the title of the Republic of China and formally declared independence from the mainland. Despite Beijing's promise that any independence would result in war, none resulted. In 2018, when the Canton Confederation seceded, they extended an invitation to Taiwan to join them, but the island nation declined. The Nationalists had faded from power and the ruling government had no intention of reunification with the mainland. Despite this, the two countries enjoyed close trade ties.
The Nationalist WarEdytuj
In 2040, Nationalist-sponsored policlubs won elections in Taiwan and in the mainland coastal Canton Confederation provinces of Zhejiang and Fujian. Instead of Taiwan seeking reunification with the mainland, Zhejiang and Fujian chose to join Taiwan. The Canton Confederation invaded the breakaway provinces, starting the Nationalist Civil War. Two years into the war, the Canton Confederation had recaptured Fujiang. The Confederation had mounted two failed assaults against the island of Taiwan. Because of the rise of Liang Hong in Sichuan on the Confederation's western borders, the Confederation negotiated a truce with Taiwan, ending the war in 2044. Zhejiang fragmented into microstates. The war caused an exodus of people from Taiwan into Southeast Asia.
Ninety-five percent of the population are ethnic Han Chinese. The Han population may be divided into mainlanders and Taiwanese. Mainlanders are descendants of the Nationalists who fled mainland China in 1949. Taiwanese are those who claim to be descended from pre-1949 settlers. Some of the mainlanders are members of Nationalist policlubs, still desiring reunification with the mainland. On the other hand, many mainlanders and most Taiwanese, while recognizing they're ethnically Chinese, maintain that Taiwan is a separate nation and does not need to be a protectorate of a mainland nation. There are also non-Han aborigines that live in the eastern mountains.
- Renraku Computer Systems in Taipei (cd.78), run by Masamoto Shigeru (soa.29).
- Transys Neuronet (soa.31)
- Shibata (soa.31)
- SotA 2064 s. 28. Mentioned as a possible invader of Hainan were it not for the dragon Bai Zhenzhu acting as a deterrent.
- Primary Source: Shadows of Asia, s. 23-24, 28-29
- Nationalist policlubs are still strong in Taiwan, eastern parts of the Canton Confederation and the Coastal Provinces (soa s.29)
- Renraku's Taiwanese office under Masamoto Shigeru have been targeted by Noriko Sakai (soa.29)
- Mentioned as a possible invader of Hainan were it not for the dragon Bai Zhenzhu acting as a deterrent. SotA 2064 s.28.
Linki zewnętrzne Edytuj
This page forked from Wordman's The Sixth World: A geographical index to the world of Shadowrun
|The Splinter States of China|