- Russia moves to stabilize Belarus, sparking fear of Russian expansionism.
- April 10: Japan launches a series of solar collector satellites and beams the energy to Earth via microwave.
- May 12: Boeing's High Speed Civil Transport completes a successful test flight.
- July 27: The Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO) announces the birth of a healthy Tasmanian tiger cloned from frozen DNA samples.
- October 17: A verdict is reached in the years-long court proceedings of Texas Instruments Corporation v. Miroyama Electric in favor of TI. The Japanese courts order Miroyama's assets turned over to TI, revitalizing that company. Miroyama's executives commit seppuku to spare their subordinates from dishonor.
- November 17: North Korea launches nuclear missiles toward Japan. The warheads fail to detonate. The attack prompts Japan to greater participation in the Second Korean War. Japan eventually refounds itself as the Japanese Imperial State, allowing it to maintain a military and begin a campaign of territorial expansion.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.