- Nunavut, the Inuit territory in northern Canada, is dissolved in accordance with the Nepean Act.
- January 20: The US federal government seizes all Native American lands. 
- February 10: A new virus is discovered in India; symptoms of infection include severe allergic reactions that eventually kill by asphyxiation. The disease is called Kali's Harvest in India where it killed 450 million people; the rest of the world will come to know it as Virally-Induced Toxic Allergy Syndrome (VITAS). VITAS will kill a quarter of the world's population over the next two years, including Pope John Paul III. 
- Keruba International achieves extraterritoriality and begins competing with BMW.
- June 22: The French economy finally breaks under the strain of VITAS, ending the country's resistance to the new corporate culture.
- September 16: Michel Beloit buys and restructures BMW, integrating it with Saeder Munitions and Krupp Manufacturing, into what would become Saeder-Krupp. 
- October 28: 10.5 million of the 14 million inhabitants of Madagascar have died from VITAS by this time. 
- October 31: Quebec secedes from Canada.
- Maria Kapatelis, daughter of Greek shipping magnate Stavros Kapatelis, is kidnapped. Her father pays the ransom of ten million American dollars, but she is never returned; the only kidnapper the authorities could locate is killed in a firefight.
- The Yakuza of Seattle is given official recognition as the Dungeness Crabs of the 87th Prefecture by the oyabun of the Watada-rengo in Chiba, Japan. This approval of and support for their activities allows the Seattle Yakuza to grow rapidly and expand its operations.
The Year of Chaos
- January 13: The first baby is born with the condition that will later be described as Unexplained Genetic Expression.
- January: The Mexican government dissolves in the wake of VITAS outbreaks. Hundreds of thousands of refugees swarm the US border. Sixth World Almanac claims April 7
- February: The IRA kills forty-four soldiers of the British Parachute Regiment in Coalisland.
- February 9: The Black Tide hits the North Sea coast, killing thousands and displacing millions in Germany, the Netherlands, the UK, Denmark and Norway. Half a million people eventually die from the Black Tide's effects.
- March: The IRA kills thirty-one soldiers of the British Parachute Regiment in Ulster.
- March 14: Newsweek magazine is the first media outlet that describes UGE babies as "elves" and "dwarfs."
- April 14: The IRA destroys the British SAS base in Belfast, killing thirteen operators and eleven Protestant paramilitaries.
- May: Beginning now and for the next three years, numerous UGE children disappear, are given up for adoption, or simply abandoned.
- July: Operation Discovery, a clandestine eight-man mission to Mars, makes planetfall and begins its survey.
- August 15: The Indonesian government collapses following VITAS and several volcanic eruptions.
- September 3 UK: The basalt columns of Giant’s Causeway rise on the coast of Northern Ireland, taller and more solid than they have ever been. Throughout the year, stone circles erupt from the ground across the United Kingdom.
- October 31 USA: The annual Samhain ritual in Salem, Massachusetts is attended by some new guests: A ghostly hunting group, later identified as the Wild Hunt, appears out of the evening mist charges around the celebrants.
- November 18: A tribe of yeti is conclusively identified in Nepal.
- November 23 GERMANY: The Treaty of Passau settled all remaining disputes about the rights of national and international corporations, effectively guaranteeing extraterritoriality to any corporation larger than a certain size.
- December 24: The Awakening. 
- The great eastern dragon Ryumyo appears on Mount Fuji.
- Under the cover of a fierce storm, Daniel Coleman leads a walk-out of the Abilene detainment camp. Guards attempt to stop him, but their bullets bounce off a glowing field. Coleman leads his people into the storm, leaving no trace.
- The main cabin of the primary Operation Discovery module suffers a catastrophic malfunction and crashes on Mars, killing five of the eight astronauts. The survivors begin the return to Earth in the command capsule.
- 00:00:01 - Saeletra makes its one and only appearance.
- The first mana storm sweeps across the Australian Outback.Sixth World Almanac says February 20
- December 26: Ley lines and standing stones re-emerge all over Britain. The Great Welsh Dragon Celedyr is sighted over Caerleon.
- England's Sizewell B nuclear power station suffers a critical meltdown. 7,800 people die within the first month and nearly 80,000 will die of various cancers over the next thirty years.
- A nuclear power plant in Dounreay, Scotland, suffers a meltdown, creating the Scottish Irradiated Zone.
- The Auvergne volcano in France erupts.
- Sixth World Almanac p. 20
- Shadowrun 20th Anniversary p. 25
- Tír na nÓg pg. 29
- Shadows of Europe pg. 10
- Germany Sourcebook pg. 22
- Tír na nÓg pg. 30
- Missions p. 52
- Germany Sourcebook pg. 24
- Native American Nations Volume One p. 74
- Denver: The City of Shadows p. 73
- Target: Awakened Lands p. 17
- London Sourcebook p. 18
- London Sourcebook p. 17
- January 1: During the traditional New Year's Message from St. Peter's Square, Pope John Paul IV denounces metahumans as abominations in the eyes of God. (Tír na nÓg)
- January 3: The great dragon Hualpa emerges in Yucatan.
- January 12: The Ganges, Indus, and Jamuna rivers in India are purified and become mana lines.
- January 20: The French Catholic Church opposes Pope John Paul IV's declaration against metahumans, creating a permanent rift between the FCC and the Vatican.
- January 27: The great western dragon Dunkelzahn makes his first appearance at Cherry Creek Lake in Denver. He grants a 12-hour interview with Holly Brighton, during which he explains The Awakening.
- March: In Vatican City, a Papal Bull is issued confirming Pope John Paul IV's position against metahumans and further denouncing all things magical as "unholy and ungodly by their very nature." 
- March 31: The great dragon Lung awakens at Mt. Emei. 
- April: A huge mana storm washes over Sydney, devastating the capital city for two weeks and cutting it off from the outside world. The storm remains in place to date and irregularly engulfs the city for short, damaging periods. 
- April 8: The Israeli government orders the evacuation of Jerusalem's Old City due to dramatic spiritual manifestations. 
- June 1: The Japanese Diet passes the Yamato Act. The Act deregulates Japanese corporations, restricts foreign corporate activity, and makes the nuyen the official currency of the state. 
- August 12: Sheila Blatavska founds the Atlantean Foundation. 
- August 30: A conglomerate of corporate interests takes control of Denver's struggling public welfare system. 
- September 16: The German military kills Feuerschwinge to end her four-month rampage, and is the first known kill of a Great Dragon by metahumanity. 
- October 17: Violent warfare between Keruba International and BMW prompt seven of the largest corporations (BMW, Ares Industries, Shiawase, Mitsuhama Computer Technologies, ORO, Keruba, and JRJ International) to form the Inter-Corporate Council to mediate disputes.
- November 6: Jesse Garrety and William Jarman are reelected as President and Vice-President of the United States. 
- November 29: The Passau Treaties are signed, defining corporate extraterritoriality in Germany.
- Lofwyr appears in Germany and becomes a corporate player.
- England's King Charles III abdicates in favor of his only surviving son, George.
- The Hildebrandt-Kleinfort-Bernal (HKB) megacorporation is formed in England, an increasingly major power in world financial affairs.
- January 1: Naga appear near Angkor Wat in Cambodia. Cambodian peasants begin to worship them as rulers of rivers and rain.
- April 2: The Inter-Corporate Council fails to stop the violence between Keruba International and ORO.
- May 23: The IRA attacks Aldershot, the home of the British Army.
- June 15: The Combat Biking League is founded in Baton Rouge, Louisiana..
- August 12: Xinjiang province secedes from China and names itself Uighurstan. Chinese are massacred in Urumqi and Kashgar.
- September 13: In Vatican City, Pope John Paul IV dies in his sleep. He is replaced by a moderate Brazilian cardinal who takes the name John XXV. Despite this change in power, several Irish Catholic bishops who had refused to accept John Paul IV's denouncement of metahumans break from the Catholic Church and instead go to the Church of Ireland, a small splinter church. (Tír na nÓg) 
- November: The wall around the Saar-Lorraine-Luxembourg Special Administrative Zone is finished.
- The Trojan-Satsop nuclear power plant in Redmond, Washington, USA suffers a partial meltdown, releasing radioactive contamination into Beaver Lake and the surrounding areas.
- In Denver, Colorado, U.S.A., the Denver Union Stockyards are purchased by Denver Foodstuffs Inc. (DFI) and turned into one of the Southwest's largest sources of algae for food purposes.
- More governments collapse this year: Libya ceases to exist when UN forces leave and Egypt annexes the territory; Cuba falls after Fidel Castro steps down due to failing health; The South African government dissolves; disasters force the dissolution of the Indonesian government.
- March 15: The German Catholic Church splits from the Vatican.Germany Sourcebook dates it as following the Bishop's Conference in April.
- April 15: The Great Dragon Masaru awakens in the Philippines during a lunar eclipse.
- June 10: Daniel Coleman, now calling himself Daniel Howling Coyote, returns to the public eye and announces the formation of the Native American Nations. He demands that everyone of European, African, or Asian descent leave North America immediately.
- June 23: Following magically enhanced terrorist activity, the governments of the United Kingdom and Éire sign the Treaty of Galway, establishing the United Free Republic of Ireland. 
- July 12: The Redondo volcano erupts, burying Los Alamos and the Los Alamos National Laboratory under volcanic ash. Daniel Howling Coyote claims responsibility for calling upon Mother Earth to cause the disaster. Federal troops are sent to apprehend Howling Coyote, but tornadoes delay their arrival until Howling Coyote has left the area. The Ghost Dance War begins.
- August 22: The military council that had ruled Germany since 2008 steps down and returns the country to democracy.
- March 18: Hong Kong secedes from mainland China and proclaims independence. The British government uses its influence to protect Hong Kong, but is duped by megacorporations and loses face over the incident.
- April 27: Anarchists take control of Berlin. Walls are raised and troops posted to contain the anarchy.
- May 5: Francisco Pavón of the Azatlán party is elected president of Mexico. He renames the country Aztlan. The ORO Corporation was heavily involved in the Matrix-based voting process.
- May 15: The Magic Hat opens in Minneapolis. It is the first private organization for practicing magicians.
- May 18: Belgium dissolves when Wallonia splits from Flanders.
- August 6: Thunder Tyee leads Salish warriors to capture a US submarine base near Bangor.
- October 4: Thunder Tyee's warriors capture Puget Sound Naval Shipyard.
- Schism splits the Irish Republican Army (IRA) into two factions: the Provisional IRA (led by elven spike baby Liam O'Connor) and the Official IRA. The Provisional IRA is incorporated into the state security apparatus, where it counters Protestant paramilitaries. It would grow into the core of the Tír Republican Corps (TRC).
- In Puerto Rico, Natural Vat Food Technologies is established. The corporation quickly makes a name for itself by growing fungus in the now-overflooded sugarcane fields in the Caribbean. The fungus is converted into a synthetic food called mycoprotein. This new product quickly makes Puerto Rico the richest island in the Caribbean.
- March 12: A major oil spill in the North Sea creates the Scottish Fringe Toxic Zone.
- July 28: Ares buys NASA.
- October 15: William Springer assassinates US President Jesse Garrety and escapes justice.
- October 31: "Bloody Monday." Russian President Nikolai Chelenko, Prime Minister Lena Rodale of the United Kingdom, and Minister Chaim Schon of Israel are all assassinated.
- November 8: US presidential elections are held as usual, but due to the President's murder, the winner will be inaugurated immediately. Vice President William Jarman wins.
- November 11: US President-Elect William Jarman is sworn in and then passes Executive Order 17-321, ordering the removal of all Native Americans from US soil by any means necessary, effective immediately.Native American Nations Vol. 1&2 call it the Resolution Act of 2016
- December 12: Cheyenne nationalists feed false information to the US Army concerning the location of a band of Native warriors. The Army strike kills Kiowa non-combatants, effectively wiping out the tribe.
- Charles University in Prague, Czech Republic, establishes the first hermetic studies curriculum.
- February 2: Four tech companies merge to form Transys Neuronet. 
- April 13: An earthquake hits the Taihei Mountains, destroying China's nuclear stockpile. (sr20.26) 
- May 9: The Harris-3M corporation launches the first private space station, Halo.
- August 17, 10:30 a.m. PST: H-Hour for US Government and Corporation's "The Genocide Campaign" of Native Americans. 
- August 17, 10:32 a.m.: Daniel Howling Coyote initiates the Great Ghost Dance. Mount Hood, Mount Ranier, Mount St. Helens, and Mount Adams erupt. Weather patterns drastically change, frustrating US attempts to locate or capture Howling Coyote.
- August 22: King Kamehameha IV declares the independence of the Kingdom of Hawaiʻi.
- September 25: British Imperial Chemicals Industries and two Swiss pharmaceutical firms merge to form Zeta-Imperial Chemicals.
- October 18: The Majestic Peacock Association's headquarters in Hong Kong burns down, ending a Triad gang war.
- The Wuxing headquarters is built in the Aberdeen quarter of Hong Kong.
- North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) collapses after the USA announces its military withdrawal from Europe.
- March 17: Chinese provinces rebel against Communist rule. The civil war results in yet another fractured nation: Manchuria, Xinjiang, Guangxi, and the Canton Confederation are created.
- April 25: The United States of America, Canada, Aztlan, and the Native American Nations ratify the Treaty of Denver. Most of western North America is ceded to the NAN. Daniel Howling Coyote becomes head of the Sovereign Tribal Council. Denver is divided into districts under the jurisdiction of the United States, Aztlan, and the NAN member states.
- July 12: Dr. Hosato Hikita of ESP Systems, Chicago demonstrates the first generation of Artificial Sensory Induction Systems Technology.
- July 24: The spaceplane America disintegrates in orbit and crashes in Longreach, Australia, killing 200.
- November 9: Fuchi Industrial Electronics completes its Seattle Industrial Compound.
- European Union suspended. Council of Ministers disband the European Parliment. EU bureaucracy limited to executing established mandates.
- Spring: The Seattle area receives more than 200,000 refugees. Neighboring counties merge with the city over the course of this year.
- April 12: Ares unveils Apollo Station.
- August 13: Nokia and Ericsson merge to form the Erika corporation.
- August 27: Transys announces the first successful cyberlimb implantation on concert violinist Leonora Bartoli. Sixth World Almanac has it on August 23
- The Great Dragon Lung's Red Dragon Association becomes Hong Kong's most powerful triad.
- September 6 Everett and Tacoma vote in favor of joining Seattle. 
- November 23: Emori Shiawase, founder of the Shiawase Corporation, dies of heart failure.
- Sixth World Almanac p. 32