Azania is a confederation of states at the southern tip of Africa. The Republic of South Africa is, in principle, the predecessor of Azania, although the national territory includes more states.
Ethnic Makeup (based on modern-day CIA world factbook)
- Black 75.2% (Zulu (by far the largest group), the indigenous Xhosa and San tribes)
- White 13.6%
- Colored 8.6%
- Indian 2.6%
- Christian 68% (includes most whites and Coloreds, about 60% of blacks and about 40% of Indians)
- Muslim 2%
- Hindu 1.5% (60% of Indians)
- indigenous beliefs and animist 28.5%
- 2039: A treaty seals the foundation of Azania, after a long civil war. 
- 2040: The country of Azania is formed and formally recognized .
The region formerly known as South Africa continues to have ethnic strife between black and white, despite the reforms brought about by the end of apartheid during the end of the 20th century. If anything, the racism against metahumans is aggravated by the latent racist tension between the African tribes and the Anglo-Saxon people.  The Boers and Humanis Policlub share many views, and the native Wakyambi (Elves descended from the Zulu nation) similarly reject anyone who isn't native and Elven.
There are 11 official languages, including Afrikaans, English, Ndebele, Northern Sotho, Sotho, Swazi, Tsonga, Tswana, Venda, Xhosa, and Zulu. Other spoken languages include several San (Bushman) dialects, Portuguese, German, Telugu, and Gujarati.
Climate: Mostly semiarid; subtropical along east coast; sunny days, cool nights.
Terrain: Vast interior plateau rimmed by rugged hills and narrow coastal plain.
- Cape Town - the major port of the Cape Republic area
- New Hlobane - formerly Pietermaritzburg, the Zulu Nation’s capital since 2039
- Zulu Nation - One of the member states, belongs to the Zulu
- Joseph Mnguni,a peculiar Zulu elf with blue facial hair appears to be running most of the shadows of New Hlobane, .
- The great feathered serpent Mujaji lairs somewhere in the Cape Republic 
- Saeder-Krupp's secondary space launch site is in Overberg .
- During Halley's Comet visit, naturally occurring orichalcum discovered .
- The largest (if not the single known) population of the ultra-rare lion shapeshifters is found in Azania. They are vigilantly protected by Mujaji.
- Sprawl Survival Guide, : Called Azanian Confederation
This page forked from Wordman's The Sixth World: A geographical index to the world of Shadowrun
- Augmentation, 146
- Book of the Lost, 63
- Corporate Enclaves, 13
- Cyberpirates!, 109, 123-124 "South Africa"
- Feral Cities
- Loose Alliances, 61, 77, 80
- Runner Havens
- Runner's Companion
- Running Wild
- Shadows of Asia, 111
- Shadows of Europe, 25, 101, 176
- Sixth World Almanac, 104-105
- Threats, 52, 55
- Year of the Comet, 85
- Nosferatu is set in the year 2055 and much of the novel takes place in Africa.
- According to the novel, Lofwyr’s secondary space port site is less than 100 kilometers from Mujaji’s main lair. Maybe Gold Snout and the Rain Queen have some sort of deal worked out.