Drakes are metahumans that can change into the form of a human-sized dragon-like creature. They are in many ways similar to shapeshifters, though there are some obvious differences. Outside of the obvious fact that a dragon is not a mundane animal, drakes also differ from other shapeshifting races by being born metahuman.
Drakes first came into the public awareness in the 2060s but appear to have been around prior to that in the Sixth World. It is said that in the Fourth World they were servants created by the dragons for dragons. At some point, drakes became capable of carrying on their traits to offspring.
Drakes draw their appearance from one of the four dracoforms. In addition, they can be divided into two broad groups: true drakes, who are dracoforms created by Great Dragons; and bred drakes, who are metahumans born with the traits that manifest at some later point (as of SR4 this distinction had been lost until The Clutch of Dragons).
Drakes are currently in heavy demand by the Great Dragons during the ongoing conflict sparked between Hestaby and Lofwyr. Many have been captured and put into service while others have been killed, and many are in hiding. A few Great Dragons (Lofwyr, Alamais, Lung, Ghostwalker ) have also begun to create new true drakes to serve them during this conflict, but some have escaped or otherwise now walk "freely."
Even though the Drake from the SNES game is a important character ( The Final Boss and reason Jake got Amnesia, almost died and was involved in all of this ), he has no name and does not have any sort of explanation or reference in Shadowrun: Returns or Dragonfall. He was only known as "Drake" and didn't have a special name, or a specific Allegiance or specification as a Great Dragon.
Even not being developed, Drake from the Shadowrun game from the SNES was probably a Great Dragon, because of its power, its influence, his knowledge of magical beings as the Jester and the fact that he was the owner of one of the biggest companies in 2050. It's also important mentioning the fact that Drake says in the "post-credits" of Shadowrun that he and Jake would meet again in "Shadowrun 2", which is an intersting fact since he didn't return in Returns.
Known Drakes (Allegiance)
- Azadeh (Aden(?)/Draco Foundation) — Ryan Mercury's lieutenant and significant other
- Branwen (Rhonabwy) — General-purpose expediter based in Wales
- Monika Stüeler-Waffenschmidt (Nachtmeister) — CEO of the Frankfurt Bank Association
- Ryan Mercury (Dunkelzahn/Draco Foundation) — head of the DF drake sanctuary
- Scale (Lofwyr) — Personal expediter for Lofwyr
- Unnamed Drakes (Ryumyo) — Operatives based out of Neo-Tokyo
- Wallace Thomas (Ghostwalker) — Covert operative for Ghostwalker's spy network
- Chardom — Sherrif of Batesville
- Beyond the Pale (Ryan Mercury's emergence as a drake)
- Year of the Comet (first appearance of a Drake outside a novel)
- Threats 2 (General Information, DF drake haven program)
- Dragons of the Sixth World (General Information, DF drake haven program)
- Survival of the Fittest (Branwen)
- Shockwaves ebook (Monika Stüeler-Waffenschmidt)
- Street Legends (Ryan Mercury, Azadeh, Scale)
- Artifacts Unbound (Ryumyo's drakes)
- Conspiracy Theories (Azadeh, three drakes who may be serving Sirrurg accosted JackPoint user Ethernaut)
- The Clutch of Dragons (state of drakes in the dragon conflict, Draco Foundation drake activities, and the nature of True Drakes)