Some ghouls regress to a feral state after the change, while others retain their sanity. Those who remain sane often undergo extreme plastic surgery to pass for human and usually replace their blind eyes with cybernetic implants to allow them to see.
Ghoul Regional LariatsEdit
Ghouls infected by the HMHVV III virus has also been shown to possess geographically-localized variants that create distinct ghoul sub-species based not on metatype but on race:
- IIIA Sasabonsam, long-limbed ghouls from Western Africa (The majority of the population of Asamando are Sasabonsam)
- IIIB Busaw, ghouls allergic to citric acid from the Philippines.
- IIIC Gaki, from the Japanese archipelago.
- Portfolio of a Dragon: Dunkelzahn's Secrets, 28, 31
- Runner's Companion, 76-80, 83
- Shadowrun Second Edition
- Shadowrun Fourth Edition
- Shadowrun Companion Revised
- Shadows of Europe, 224, 229