|Puyallup (as of 2072)|
Puyallup also known as Puyallup Barrens is a district of Seattle, devastated by the Mount Rainier eruption decades ago. It is a poor and unsafe district. The only district in Seattle which is majority metahuman.
- 1 Overview
- 2 Communities
- 3 Geography
- 4 Demographics
- 5 Politics
- 6 Economy
- 7 Culture
- 8 Lone Star Security Ratings
- 9 Places of Interest
- 10 Crime
- 11 Comments
- 12 References
- 13 Index
Overview[edit | edit source]
Mount Rainer erupted in 2017 and buried Puyallup in ash and lava. It was soon afterwards occupied by refugees from the newly established NAN. The majority is a wasteland of rusted factories, abandoned buildings, and squatter camps. Within is Hell's Kitchen, with it's lava fields and boiling geysers. It's residents grow up with the knowledge that any cut or scrape may result in an infection and therefore death, all the while hacking black phlegm. It is a place where sometimes it seems as every every 10 meters there is a new gang.
Communities[edit | edit source]
- Tarislar: An elven ghetto with 1000s of elves unlike most of Puyallup is actually patrolled by Knight Errant whom are paid by the elves to maintain the peace. The Laesa syndicate likewise helps keep things orderly.
- Carbonado: It's a mostly latino and black community of Orks whom have organized themselves and done a good job of defending themselves against predatory gangs and racist attacks. Due to it being a former source of precious metals it is covered with pits, quarries, and tunnels.
Geography[edit | edit source]
Demographics[edit | edit source]
Politics[edit | edit source]
Puyallup City is the only place inside the Puyallup Barrens where something like government still exists. It is kept alive by money brought in by the Mob and Lone Star is present there.
2072: Mayor Lon Campa was Seattle’s only metahuman mayor, serving Puyallup. He’s an ork with strong support in Carbonado, less among the elven community. There have been two attempts on Campa’s life in Puyallup since he was elected.
One Councilor is Debbie Trembath.
The councilors look at the job as an entrepreneurial activity and are in the pocket of whichever syndicate controls their district, which in turn allows those syndicates to skim money from the district and the metroplex government.
Economy[edit | edit source]
Economy of the district is in a poor shape. Most businesses are either corp-owned, or fronts of organized crime.
Inside Puyallup Barrens there is the so-called "Loveland", an amusement mile, where Mafia and Yakuza fight for the money the UCAS Army soldiers from Fort Lewis are willing to spend. Although there are some semi-stable squatter communities like the Crypt as well as the Carbonado ork community, who's inhabitants are able to look after themselves. Tarislar, an elven enclave of exiled elves from Tir Tairngire, is also located inside the Puyallup district. The locals there pay Knight Errant to patrol the streets of Tarislar and the elven Laésa syndicate has its roots there.
A good place to buy illegal goods inside the Puyallup Barrens is the Crime Mall, a giant black market in the shell of an old shopping mall.
Culture[edit | edit source]
Lone Star Security Ratings[edit | edit source]
- C: Puyallup City, Tarislar (Tarislar pays Knight Errant for additional security, giving the area an effective A rating)
- E: Carbanado, Loveland, Graham Cracker City
- Z: Hell’s Kitchen, Orting, Ponderosa Estates, Silver Spring, South Prairie, The Neon Killing, Thrift
Places of Interest[edit | edit source]
- Bishop’s Corpse, The - Medium restaurant and bar
- Howling Good Time - Medium restaurant and country-and-western bar, strong bias against metahumans
- Retirement, The - Medium restaurant and bar. The owner, Calvin Holdass, is a former metroplex employee who loves to dig up dirt on city officials.
- Twenten’s - Small restaurant, soy cuisine, run by an elderly shaman named Jenny Twenten
- Armadillo, The - Bar, hot spot for local deckers, also a Mafia recruiting front
- Loveland Quinn’s - Nightclub, frequented by soldiers from Fort Lewis
- Spirit Focus, The
- Underworld 93
- McMillin Correction Facilities - Prison
- Puyallup District Courthouse - Courthouse complex
- Puyallup District Hall - Government offices
- Black Junk Yards - Huge junk yard frequented by scavangers looking for useful parts
- Kenston Aircraft Interiors - Airplane interiors for Federated Boeing
- Petrowski Farm - Large and well-armed farm
- Deireadh An Tuartheil - Hospital, medical center for the people of Tarislar; small, understaffed and undersupplied
- Good Samaritan - The newest hospital in Puyallup
Crime[edit | edit source]
Puyallup is a breeding place for countless gangs. Gangs of renown are the "Reality Hackers" - a gang with many Matrix operations, the "Forever Tacoma", which are named after the Tacoma district, an Azzie/Latino-Gang called the "Chulos" around the Carbonado Community and the "Black Rain" (The Black Rains). Other gangs of Puyallup's history include the elven "Princes of the Blood" in Tarislar, who were completely absorbed by the Laésa crime syndicate and the "Silent Ps", which were rooted out by the "Spikes".
Comments[edit | edit source]
- Vital statistics were unchanged from 2050 to 2072 or were not reported more than once. Infoboxes for specific decades can be found in on the first page of relevant sourcebooks (see sources).
- 2072 book did not provide an update on any topics but places of interest
References[edit | edit source]
Index[edit | edit source]
- New Seattle, p.68-72
- Runner Havens . p.105-106
- Seattle 2072, p.123-130
- Seattle Sourcebook, p.136-143
Shadowtalk[edit | edit source]
- numerous shadowtalk comments have been offered on this topic throughout available sources:
- 2050 (Seattle Sourcebook):
- 2060 (New Seattle):
- 2072 (Seattle 2072):