|Redmond (as of 2072)|
Redmond is the definition of urban decay. Due to the partial meltdown of the Trojan-Satsop nuclear power plant in 2013, Beaver Lake and kilometers of its surroundings have been contaminated resulting in Glow City. Many of its residents fled, and more left after the first crash of 2029 collapsed the computer industry. In the aftermath homeless squatters moved into the district and the government left it to the criminals. Of it's residents, approximately 3/4 of them are SINless. The district lacks sanitation, running water, and electricity apart from what one can jury-rig for themselves and a functional roof is unknown to most.
Redmond is virtually lawless, except in the areas that border other districts. Redmond is also known for its notorious gang fights and violence, scaring many away from the area. Best known gangs of Redmond are the "Red Hot Nukes" (dwarfs), the "Rusted Stilettos" (merely orks and trolls), the "162s" (ghouls) and the "Brain Eaters". Other gangs in the Redmond Barrens are the "Spiders" - known for their fanatical hatred of Insect Spirits - and the "Crimson Crush"-gang that calls the area east of Touristville around 228th Avenue their home turf.
Redmond is relatively flat, with a few small hills. Snoqualme River passes through a third of the district.
The border with Bellevue is mostly walled and guarded to prevent "undesirable" elements spilling into that luxury district over.
Official statistics estimate Redmond at about half a million; unofficial go as high as 700,000. The number of metahumans is lower than the average for the Seattle area.
What little economy is here is unregulated and dominated by the criminal elements.
The only part of Redmond, which isn't completely a slum is known as Touristville. In this area lots of bars, clubs and discos, controlled by Mafia, Yakuza and the Seoulpa Rings try to extract money from people, which come there, looking for cheap amusement like gambling, prostitution, drugs, chips and alcohol.
Lone Star Security Ratings Edit
- C: Redmond (aka Touristville) Note that the rest of the area is collectively known as the Barrens.
- E: Avondale, Brain Heaven, Hollywood, Kingsgate, Plastic Jungles, Purity, Sophocles, Woodinville
- Z: Crash Zone, Rat’s Nest, Glow City
Places of InterestEdit
In Redmond "hot-spot" has a uniquely neighbourhood feel. Ask for a "hot-spot" in Redmond and they'll point you to any number of toxic sites. If you want a thrill that could take your life, then Redmond is for you.
- Novelty Hill Sleep & Eat - No-frills hotel and medium restaurant, converted warehouse stacked with sleep cubicles and a cafeteria-like eating establishment
- Redmond Center Hotel - Luxury hotel
- Crusher 495
- Downfall - Bar, fairly safe and clean (for Redmond)
- Redmond Phoenix House - Medium restaurant, Japanese-American cuisine
- Yoshiro’s - Small restaurant, soy cuisine
- Banshee - Nightclub
- Jackal’s Lantern - Bar, decked out in barbed wire and discarded Halloween decorations, hangout of the Halloweeners gang
- Joke, The - Bar, Yakuza-run, in the ground floor of an old apartment tower that also serves as a base for black-market operations
- Mad Woman, The - Nightclub, mostly a sleazy bar with little music and less dancing
- Skeleton, The
- Redmond Center Mall - Shopping Mall
- Squatters' Mall - Shopping mall; squatters have taken over the abandoned mall and sell BTL chips and other black market items out of it
- Squatters' Market - Run out of a network of derelict factories; squatters, smugglers and general riff-raff sell a managery of black market items including the occasional vehicle. The market is overseen by the Coulson group.
- Hollywood Correctional Facility - Largest prison in Redmond
- Redmond District Courthouse - Courthouse complex
- Redmond District Hall - Government offices
- Carnation-Seattle Ranch - Dairy farm
- Hollywood Simsense Entertainments
- Life-Eez Appliances - Manufacturers of cooking and cleaning appliances
- Monohan Vehicles - Maker of electric cars
- Body Mall
- Dr. Bob’s Quickstich Clinic - Street doc
- Hollywood Hospital - Hospital
- Redmond General - Hospital, center for health care in Redmond
Redmond has more gangs than any other district in Seattle, hundreds, in fact. The gangs are the closest thing to a law or a government. The Rusted Stilettos claim territory near Glow City, and run protection rackets there. Many of the Trolls and Orks who make up the gang are literally mutants, with sickly looks and pale skin. Their colours are black and rust red. The Brain Eaters are a mixed-race gang operating in the Touristville area. They scavenge what remains of Redmond's technology, and are the sole group of shadow-deckers operating out of Redmond. They are also heavily into smuggling.
The Red Hot Nukes are a dwarf go-gang based around Route 202. They consider themselves more of a neighbourhood association than a gang, and are explosives experts. Most of their rackets involve demolitions in some way; The Nukes love to blow things up. Their colours are gray and red, and all members wear baseball caps.
The Spiders are one of Redmond's largest and newest gangs, made up of victims of the Universal Brotherhood. They all follow the Spider totem, even the un-Awakened, and are led by a Spider shaman named Widow. The Spiders are obsessed with protecting Redmond from insect spirits and other magical threats, and press-gang people into the gang from time to time. They are headquatred just south of Beaver Lake and Glow City, and their colours are black or dark brown with a red web pattern overlaid.
- Vital statistics were unchanged from 2050 to 2072 or were not reported more than once. Infoboxes for specific decades can be found in on the first page of relevant sourcebooks (see sources).
- 2072 book did not provide an update on any topics but places of interest
- numerous shadowtalk comments have been offered on this topic throughout available sources:
- 2050 (Seattle Sourcebook):
- 2060 (New Seattle):
- 2072 (Seattle 2072):